Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Who says men aren't discriminated against?

 Don't get me wrong! I'm a slight feminist. I'll complain all day that men make more money, that they'll probably get a job over me, and just in general that I don't really care for them because I'm a lesbian. Kidding on that last part. Yes, I'm a lesbian. No, I don't hate men... I just simply don't want to date them.


 Alright, off the tangent! Do you remember that movie The Burning Bed with Farrah Fawcett? Here is a quick summary for those who don't remember: An abused battered wife has had enough of husband beating up on her. Everywhere she turns for help, there's not much anyone will do. After he rapes her one night, she sets the bed on fire with him in it asleep. (IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087010/)


 Now, for the women out there: Did you watch that once upon a time in the 90s and think, "That man got exactly what he deserved! Go Farrah!"? I am pretty confident that for most women if you hear a story of a woman killing or hurting her husband, then you think "Well, I am willing to bet that F**ker deserved it." Am i right? I'm not sure what the men think and I'm kind of curious to be honest. (Men- please comment and let me know.) What about the movies we watch where the husband eventually hits the peak of the abuse on his wife and kills her? What is our reaction? We feel awful for the lady, right? We're saddened by the story. We should be. And then we're like "I hope that f**ker rots in jail for what he did!"


 Getting to my point: 
Whenever we hear stories of men suffering abuse by the hand of a woman, I'd say we women normally assume the guy had it coming. As women, we tend to stick together just as often as we stab knives in each other's backs. We're talented like that! :)


This story came out today and I caught it through a friend's facebook. Check out the link: http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/13/california.penis.knifing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

 Note that "Becker told police he 'deserved it'." Comments on facebook included: "WIN," "DAMN SHE IS BAD TO THE BONER," (yes, I laughed at that one too) and "He'll probably still find a way to cheat." I have yet to read anything on the full situation other than the fact that they were going through a divorce. Why do we assume the guy deserved it? Maybe she was a crazy biotch?


 So as I said in the title: Who says men aren't discriminated against? This dude could've been a perfectly good guy who married a bi-polar lady. He could've served the lady with divorce papers and she just flipped out. Then again, he could've been exactly what we women will assume of him. I just think its interesting how we all think. 


 Just do me one favor: Next time you hear about a women cutting off a man's junk, please consider at least this. If he did deserve it, he got his punishment big time and I promise he won't make the same mistake twice. However, maybe, just maybe you'll just feel bad for the guy for like a second! I would hope so. Assumptions just never pay off in my opinion.


To end this blog, Here is a fact I found on the website http://www.batteredmen.com
"A survey 0f 1,000 women, perhaps the largest survey of its kind, found that 20% had initiated violence. The most common reasons for women initiating domestic violence were: "My partner wasn't sensitive to my needs," (46%), "I wished to gain my partner's attention," (44%) and "My partner was not listening to me" (43%). "My partner was being verbally abusive to me" (38%) was a distant fourth." 
Source: Fiebert. M. and Gonzalez, D. (1997)College Women Who Initiate Assaults on their Male Partners and the Reasons Offered for Such Behavior. Psychological Reports, 80, 583-590 (1997)

***Leave your opinions below! I'm curious to know what ya'll think. Healthy comments and discussion is encouraged. Rudeness is not tolerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment